Sections

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Embroidery Hoop Art - French Knots - Fire

A few months ago, I got interested in trying out some embroidery hoop art, and in particular, I wanted to work on some french knots. In the same vein as miniatures like the miniature art canvases, I bought a bunch of 3" and 4" hoops. I started working on one of the 4" hoops and wanted to do a design similar to this:


Only, I didn't want to worry about beads this time, I figure I'll just practice the french knots. So I got some brown cotton and some batting, put them in a hoop, and get started! I got some shades of red, orange and yellow going..(please excuse poor photo quality on these, I wasn't even sure how it would look out so photos weren't a top priority for me along the way....):


Ok, not too bad... messed up a couple of the yellow ones (far left and about an inch to the right of that one...) but off to a good start, I think.

Now to fill in the red some... 



Nearly all of the red is filled in and working on the orange and a little on the yellow now...


And done! I decided (much through feedback from friends mind you) that it'd be better to not fill in the entire area of the piece, and to just sort of phase out towards the top left corner. Also, I was about done with this thing as it took me around an estimated 22 hours!!!!


I think it's safe to say that I'm about 95% efficient at doing french knots now lol!!  I don't ever want to do a french knot again, but at the same time, I kind of can't wait to try some again! Maybe even in a smaller hoop and/or bigger knots all around, and even maybe try to add some beads for shine and spacers.

Craft ya laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I always love to hear what you think!