Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Black and Purple Burst Sheath Dress - Pt 1

After making my watermelon halter dress, I decided to try making another dress.

I found this pattern that seemed pretty simple... 

...and this neat purple flower/sunburst-type fabric:

Neat, huh? Yeah, I can do this... totally!!

Look how nicely they go together!! I mean, it's hard NOT to go well with black, but still! 

So I cut out the pattern pieces, and got to work....

It's a bit hard to see in this picture, but I made darts to bring in the sides!! Have only done that maybe once or twice before...

And also sewed in some vertical darts to adjust for the "feminine figure", on the back side...

Got the middle and 2 side front pieces sewn together...yeah, this is lookin' good!

I got a little bit of puckering at the top corners unfortunately, but hopefully it won't be that noticeable once I'm wearing it?

A quick sexy angled pic of the front pieces sewn together.....teeheehee....

Got the fronts and backs sewn together (really hard to tell....)

Then came time to cut the collar pieces, no biggie, right?

Hmm... something doesn't look right.... Oh darnit!! I forgot to fold the fabric so I get two of each!!

Oh well, at least I have plenty of black fabric to cut more!

Now for the interfacing pieces...

Got the collar pieces sewn on to the body... but there's just the ONE darn spot that puckered, and I didn't realize it! :(

It's a little hard to tell, but you can somewhat see the pucker/foldover below.

I haven't yet sewn down the top-side of the collar, or rather, attached the underside pieces yet, but hey...let's see if this will in fact fit ON me, yes?

I have... NO...idea what's going on with my hair tbh...

W00t!! It fits around me!!

Now for the zipper!!

Hmm... the bottom of the zipper has this weird fold-over looking part, but the first time I've done a cross-stitch at the bottom, to make sure it doesn't break?

But y'all..... you guys....... hey......the method of how the zipper is stitched, with the fabric covering it and making it a hidden zipper... I am SO proud of myself for getting this done SO WELL!! I've never done a zipper like this, and was soooo happy when the 4 times I re-pinned ended up working out once I finally took needle to fabric! :D!!

Secret zipper!!! hahaha

I would just say, I could do for improvement at the top, since this happened (below).... but hey, the rest of the zipper looks pretty darn spiffy, so I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out! :D

I only have 3 more major steps left and this dress will be done!!! It asks me to hand-stitch the outside and inner pieces of collar together/down, I have to add the arms, and seam up the bottom of the dress. 

When I saw the hand-stitch part though, I kiiiiiinda noped out and I haven't picked up this dress for months, so hopefully I will get to this before summer's here and/or I have a reason to where this dress somewhere!! 

Once I finish it though, I will definitely share, so keep an eye out!

Until then... Craft ya laters!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I always love to hear what you think!